New World Notes - Reproductive Rights Crusader Bill Baird
This week on New World Notes: radio program #321, April 29, 2014, from 12:00 to 12:30 p.m. (and on Wednesday from 8:30 to 9:00 p.m.), host Kenneth Dowst presents a talk by Bill Baird.
For decades, Bill Baird has been a crusader for reproductive rights, including the right to purchase contraceptives--still illegal in Massachusetts (and elsewhere) in the 1960s.
Seeing a woman die from an attempted coat-hanger abortion changed his life. He survived assassination attempts, 8 criminal convictions, prison brutality, the firebombing of his abortion clinic (the nation's first), the breakup of his family, and the absence of any help from NOW, ACLU, and other potential allies. One of his 3 Supreme Court cases was cited 6 times in Roe v. Wade.
A scary and stunning story, well-told by Baird himself.
Excerpted by K.D. from a panel presentation at the University of Hartford, February 16, 2010.
This is a rebroadcast of New World Notes #110 (April 2010).
New World Notes is produced under the auspices (Latin for "long-suffering sighs") of WWUH-FM, a community service of the University of Hartford.
You can listen to any installment of New World Notes online or else download it (as an mp3 audio file) for later listening. The show is archived at both A-Infos Radio Project and (from #90 onwards) the Internet Archive. Either link should get you a reverse-chronological listing of available installments. Or browse the show's Web site: Each installment has a page; each page has links to the recorded audio; and a handy table of contents will quickly find the installment you want.
Series overview: Political and social commentary in a variety of genres. Exploring the gap between what we want--and what they're trying to make us settle for.
Catch New World Notes (all times Eastern):
- Sundays, 12:30 to 1:00 PM, WIEC-LP, FM 102.7 (Eau Claire, WI)
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT); also on WAPJ FM 89.9 and 105.1 (Torrington, CT), WJDW FM 89.7 (Somers, CT), and WWEB FM 89.9 (Wallingford, CT)
- Tuesdays, 8:30 to 9:00 PM, WWUH FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT)
- Fridays, 10:30 to 11:00 AM, WHUS FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT)
- Saturdays, 8:00 to 8:30 AM, WAZU FM 90.7 (Peoria, IL) & online. Repeats Mondays at 12:30 AM.
- Saturdays, 1:00-1:30 PM, KRFP FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID)
- Various days & times (multiple times per week), KGIG FM 104.9 (Modesto, CA) & online. Same on KHCF FM 89.9 (Gilroy, CA).
Any time: Listen to or download any installment. Just go to New World Notes and click a link to the audio at the top of the page. (Every installment has a page on the Web site, and every page has links to the audio.)