New World Notes - Imperialism Old and New (Part 1 of 2)
This week on New World Notes: radio program #319, April 15, 2014, from 12:00 to 12:30 p.m. (and on Wednesday from 8:30 to 9:00 p.m.), host Kenneth Dowst reprises a classic talk from 1999 by political scientist Michael Parenti. It's just as illuminating today as it was then--and often funny, too. Parenti titled his talk, Globalization: the New Imperialism.
This week, in Part 1, Parenti shows how the Western powers "underdeveloped" the "Third-World"--creating poverty there in order to enrich private corporations at home. Indeed (Parenti argues), almost all U.S. foreign policy seems aimed at increasing the profits of the Fortune 500.
This is the real purpose of the hundreds of U.S. military interventions abroad--many of which overthrew democratically elected governments, replacing them with dictatorships friendly to U.S. corporate interests. Boosting corporate profits likewise is the reason befind our recent spate of "humanitarian" military interventions, Parenti argues.
With an introduction by K.D.
Parenti spoke in Raleigh, NC, in November 1999. Recording courtesy of Sally Soriano and People's Video-Audio.
New World Notes is produced under the auspices (Latin for "radar") of WWUH-FM, a community service of the University of Hartford.
You can listen to any installment of New World Notes online or else download it (as an mp3 audio file) for later listening. The show is archived at both A-Infos Radio Project and (from #90 onwards) the Internet Archive. Either link should get you a reverse-chronological listing of available installments. Or browse the show's Web site: Each installment has a page; each page has links to the recorded audio; and a handy table of contents will quickly find the installment you want.
Series overview: Political and social commentary in a variety of genres. Exploring the gap between what we want--and what they're trying to make us settle for.
Catch New World Notes (all times Eastern):
- Sundays, 12:30 to 1:00 PM, WIEC-LP, FM 102.7 (Eau Claire, WI)
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT); also on WAPJ FM 89.9 and 105.1 (Torrington, CT), WJDW FM 89.7 (Somers, CT), and WWEB FM 89.9 (Wallingford, CT)
- Tuesdays, 8:30 to 9:00 PM, WWUH FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT)
- Fridays, 10:30 to 11:00 AM, WHUS FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT)
- Saturdays, 8:00 to 8:30 AM, WAZU FM 90.7 (Peoria, IL) & online. Repeats Mondays at 12:30 AM.
- Saturdays, 1:00-1:30 PM, KRFP FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID)
- Various days & times (multiple times per week), KGIG FM 104.9 (Modesto, CA) & online. Same on KHCF FM 89.9 (Gilroy, CA).
Any time: Listen to or download any installment. Just go to New World Notes and click a link to the audio at the top of the page. (Every installment has a page on the Web site, and every page has links to the audio.)