New World Notes - Bill Hicks
This week on New World Notes: radio program #318, April 8, 2014, from 12:00 to 12:30 p.m. (and on Wednesday from 8:30 to 9:00 p.m.), host Kenneth Dowst pays homage to the late Bill Hicks.
Cultural critic and stand-up comedian, Bill Hicks, died 20 years ago (on February 26, 1994) at age 32. In memoriam, we present a sampling of his recorded work. Alas, his critiques of America are still every bit as relevant--and powerful--as they were in the 1990s. With brief introductions by KD.
Topics include American warfare, ... stupidity in the South, ... gays in the military, ... the War on Drugs, ... and (just a prediction) the night Jay Leno committed suicide on the Tonight show.
Advisory: Adult themes. Listener discretion is advised.
Thanks to Scooter (of The innerSide, on KPFT-FM, Houston) for some of the audio broadcast here. More from Scooter at http://www.aksisofevil.org.
New World Notes is produced under the auspices (Latin for "inflexible deadlines") of WWUH-FM, a community service of the University of Hartford.
You can listen to any installment of New World Notes online or else download it (as an mp3 audio file) for later listening. The show is archived at both A-Infos Radio Project and (from #90 onwards) the Internet Archive. Either link should get you a reverse-chronological listing of available installments. Or browse the show's Web site: Each installment has a page; each page has links to the recorded audio; and a handy table of contents will quickly find the installment you want.
Series overview: Political and social commentary in a variety of genres. Exploring the gap between what we want--and what they're trying to make us settle for.
Catch New World Notes (all times Eastern):
- Sundays, 12:30 to 1:00 PM, WIEC-LP, FM 102.7 (Eau Claire, WI)
- Tuesdays, Noon to 12:30 PM, WWUH FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT); also on WAPJ FM 89.9 and 105.1 (Torrington, CT), WJDW FM 89.7 (Somers, CT), and WWEB FM 89.9 (Wallingford, CT)
- Tuesdays, 8:30 to 9:00 PM, WWUH FM 91.3 (West Hartford, CT)
- Fridays, 10:30 to 11:00 AM, WHUS FM 91.7 (Storrs, CT)
- Saturdays, 8:00 to 8:30 AM, WAZU FM 90.7 (Peoria, IL) & online. Repeats Mondays at 12:30 AM.
- Saturdays, 1:00-1:30 PM, KRFP FM 92.5, Radio Free Moscow (Moscow, ID)
- Various days & times (multiple times per week), KGIG FM 104.9 (Modesto, CA) & online. Same on KHCF FM 89.9 (Gilroy, CA).
Any time: Listen to or download any installment. Just go to New World Notes and click a link to the audio at the top of the page. (Every installment has a page on the Web site, and every page has links to the audio.)